Data-Driven Decision Making
Week 6: Data-Driven decision Making for Health care administrator
Improving the patient experience is just one initiative that you, as a current or future healthcare administration leader, might be responsible for ensuring in your health services organization. The patient experience is an abstract concept that may capture indices of patient wait times, patient cost, and patient orientation toward healthcare delivery processes in a health services organization. Data-Driven Decision Making
ORDER HERE A PLAGIARISM-FREE PAPER HERE
However, how might a healthcare administration leader analyze or determine the best way possible to improve the patient experience, for example, by shortening patient wait time? How might a healthcare administration leader determine how to improve the quality of time patients spend with physicians or clinical staff?
These considerations and opportunities can be addressed by the analytic process of optimization. This week, you explore optimization as an analytic technique and consider how you might apply this technique to healthcare administration practice problems. You also conduct an optimization problem solution and reflect on how optimization might be used in your health services organization or one with which you are familiar. Data-Driven Decision Making
• Analyze problems that may be addressed by optimization in health services organizations
• Conduct an optimization problem solution
• Apply optimization strategies to healthcare administration problems.
Note: To access this week’s required library resources, please click on the link to the Course Readings List, found in the Course Materials section of your Syllabus. Data-Driven Decision Making
Albright, S. C., & Winston, W. L. (2017). Business analytics: Data analysis and decision making (6th ed.). Stamford, CT: Cengage Learning.
Chapter 13, “Introduction to Optimization Modeling”
Franza, T. [Thomas Franza]. (2012, April 23). How to install Microsoft Excel 2010’s Solver add-in [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z2BVsbITAs&feature=youtu.be.
Optimization in Health Services
David is a healthcare administration leader who manages the operations of a long-term care facility. Within the past 6 months, long-term care patients and residents have experienced an increased number of hospital readmissions due to ongoing acute infections. In striving to ensure effective healthcare delivery and patient safety, David is seeking to use optimization as an analytic technique to determine how to best implement workflow processes to have clinical staff and physicians dedicate time to routine history and full-body observation to help prevent ongoing acute infections.
1. For this Discussion, review the resources for this week, and reflect on how optimization techniques might enhance healthcare delivery. Consider the value of optimization techniques in assisting healthcare administration leaders in providing quality patient care and safety.
By Day 3
2. Post a description of some problems that might lend themselves to optimization in your health services organization or one with which you are familiar, and explain why. Then, set up a fictitious optimization problem that would save one of the problems (e.g., Max z = a1x1 + a2x2, subject to constraints). Be specific, and provide examples. Data-Driven Decision Making
By Day 5
Continue the Discussion and respond to your colleagues in one or more of the following ways:
• Ask a probing question, substantiated with additional background information, evidence, or research.
• Share an insight from having read your colleagues’ postings, synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
• Offer and support an alternative perspective, using readings from the classroom or from your own research in the Walden Library.
• Validate an idea with your own experience and additional research.
• Make a suggestion based on additional evidence drawn from readings or after synthesizing multiple postings.
• Expand on your colleagues’ postings by providing additional insights or contrasting perspectives based on readings and evidence.
Submission and Grading Information
To access your rubric:
Week 7 Discussion Rubric
Post by Day 3 and Respond by Day 5
To participate in this Discussion: Week 7 Discussion Data-Driven Decision Making
Assignment Part (5 pages) APA format 7th Ed.
Optimization Using Health Care Examples
In what other ways might optimization be used to maximize healthcare delivery? What types of processes and workflows are best served by optimization in health services organizations?
Optimization is a vital prescriptive analytic technique that healthcare administrators can use to help address challenges in effective and efficient healthcare delivery. Health decision makers may seek to find optimal solutions for a particular objective given various constraints. For example, optimization is often used for generating nursing staff schedules to ensure appropriate staff coverage with varying patient inflows.
1. For this Assignment, you will be using optimization techniques to evaluate two separate medical problems, one involving mechanical heart valves and another involving a pharmaceutical company. Review the resources for this week, and examine the different optimization techniques that can be used for this Assignment.
For Chapter 13, problems 36 and 42, you will need to download the files P13_36.xlsx and P13_42.xlsx from the textbook companion website http://www.cengage.com/cgi-wadsworth/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M20b&product_isbn_issn=9781305947542. Under “Book Resources”, click on “Student Downloads” to view the downloadable files. Click “Problem Files” and download the zipped file 1305947541_538885.zip. Open the zipped file, and select folder “Problem Files” and then select folder “Chapter 13” to access the files P13_36.xlsx and P13_42.xlsx. Data-Driven Decision Making