Ethics plays an important role in conducting of research
Ethics plays an important role in conducting of research. While the individual researcher is responsible for his/her ethical practice, any research sponsored by an organization, university, or government program has a review process guided by a code of ethics. Besides the code of ethics, the Institutional Review Board (IRB) plays an important role in monitoring research. Your task in this discussion is to examine the origins of the IRB and analyze how the Review Board guides or monitors research. In your post answer the following three questions:
- What does the IRB do to protect a research participant from harm?
- One of the reasons for the existence of the IRB has to do with screening research applications. What is the basis for such screening?
- The IRB provides the guidelines for ethical research practice. What would the researcher responsibilities be in terms of these guidelines?
- Read from the text, Applied social research:
- Chapter 3: Ethical Issues in Social Research
- This chapter provides information on various ethical issues in social research.
- org/phsirb/infcons.htm” target=”_blank” rel=”noreferrer noopener nofollow”>Partners Human Research Committee (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Retrieved from http://healthcare.partners.org/phsirb/infcons.htm
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration Institutional Review FAQ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Retrieved from http://www.fda.gov/RegulatoryInformation/Guidances/ucm126420.htm