examine the social aspects of aging – 5 important facts to note
examine the social aspects of aging
Focus of the Final Research Paper
By the time you complete this final assignment in the course, you will have created your own conclusions that are based upon factual information and evidence related to aging.
At this point, you have examined the social aspects of aging.
In addition, you have assessed the impact of aging on society in the areas of economics, discrimination, and political influence, and assessed the role of demographics on aging in terms of health, income, employment, and retirement.
Moreover, you have had the opportunity to examine the numerous policies that are in existence for the purpose of assisting the aged in our society.
The Final Research Paper will focus on the impact of having a growing older population in the United States on the population at large. social aspects of aging social aspects of aging social aspects of aging
This impact could be defined in terms of increased health care costs with simultaneous decrease economic contributions, housing needs, and a reduced proportion of the population contributing to Social Security.
As you address the political embattlement related to programs for the aged (i.e., Medicaid, Medicare, Disability, welfare and Supplemental Security Income, and The Older Americans Act), include the following elements, which you began in your outline assignment from Week Three:
1. Title page
3. Explain the rapid increase in the older population using the demographic transition theory.
4. Categorize the consequences of having an increasing older population on the following:
a. Income and financial resources
§ Social Security
§ Who will pay?
§ How will it be paid?
§ Contrast what the experts think should be done.
b. Supplemental Security Income
c. Poverty in late life
d. Work and retirement
§ Fewer people in the workforce to contribute to Social Security
§ What about those who cannot afford to retire?
– Age discrimination
– Age Discrimination in Employment Act
e. Health and health care
§ Increasing numbers of elderly needing health care
§ Rising health care costs
§ Medicare and Medicaid
– Who will pay?
– How will it be paid for?
– What do the experts say?
5. Summarize what the experts have written about the issues facing the United States in terms of the growing elderly population. How do experts suggest addressing these issues? Assess whether their conclusions are methodologically sound.
6. Assess how the rapidly increasing population of elders is going to impact the younger generations in terms of political power and their need for social support.
7. Evaluate what actions are currently being taken to address these issues of having an increasing older population. What have the results of those actions been?
8. Justify which remedies you agree with, and support your conclusions with your scholarly research.