Social Theory : Use the theories to analyze that event objectively and sociologically – 5 important facts to note
Use the theories to analyze that event objectively and sociologically
Social Theory Essay
MUST INCLUDE ARTCILE AND UL FROM ARTICLE PLEASE READ EVERY THING
Sociological theory is intended to interpret the social world that we live in. This means that we should be able to consider any current event and interpret it, using the concepts and ideas contained in each of the theories. Thus, the sociological imagination is used to explain the event, by placing it in the larger social, historical, or cultural context.
Search the Internet or print resources for an article about an event concerning a larger social issue that has occurred in the last six months to a year. For the purposes of this assignment, do not pick an article about one individual.
- Use the following three theories or concepts that have been presented in this course to analyze that event objectively and sociologically:
- Functional theory—including manifest or latent functions, meeting a need for the society, and institutions and the idea that institutions are interdependent upon each other.
- Conflict theory—including competition for power and social resources, ideologies, and disproportionate distribution of resources.
- Symbolic interaction theory—including symbols, meanings to actors, coming to agreement on a shared definition of the situation, and the concept that reality is created in interaction between actors.
- It is specifically expected that you use the vocabulary and concepts for each theory introduced in this unit, as you analyze your article.
- Use the article to support and provide examples for the highlighted theoretical ideas.
- Address all three theories in your paper. Some events may be difficult to interpret according to a particular theory. If that is the case, explain why that specific theory is not a good one to use in this circumstance. Be sure to include appropriate concepts relevant to the theory in your explanation.
- Include a cover page. social theory social theory social theory social theory
- List your resource or resources in APA format on a references page. Provide the date the article was published and the paper, journal, magazine, or Web site that published it.
- If you use an online resource, be sure to include the URL of the article in your submission. If you use a print resource, include the article in your submission. Your instructor will need to access the article in order to evaluate your assignment accurately.
- Your paper should be at least two to three pages in length, excluding the cover page and the references page.
You certainly may have an opinion about the topic. However, this is not a response paper. It is a critical thinking assignment. Your goal with this assignment is to explain how each theory would interpret the event. You may include a summarizing paragraph with your opinion, but this should not be the focus of the assignment.