CheckPoint: Mathematical Functions
Accuracy and precision in the calculation of doses, dosages, and rates of infusion of intravenous solutions are often based on percents, ratios, and proportions. The exercises for this CheckPoint provide opportunities to perform various mathematical functions pharmacy technicians must master.
Assume the role of a pharmacy technician. A pharmacist gives you a physician’s order sheet, a prescription, and asks you to prepare a 2% solution of sodium chloride (NaCl). You check the stock in the pharmacy but discover you have only a 3% solution of NaCl. Hint: 2g NaCl:100mL of solution::3g NaCL:x mL of 3% solution.
Show all your calculations in a Microsoft® Word document, using Equation Editor.
Complete the following exercises. Refer to p. 22 for worked examples.
1. Solve the equation for x to determine how many mL of 3% solution you need.
2. Convert 3% to a decimal.
3. Convert 2% to a fraction. product of the extremes. product of the extremes
4. Percents are often used to show the strength of solutions. Which solution is stronger, the 2% or the 3%?
5. What does 3% of sodium chloride mean?
6. Referring to the proportion regarding NaCl in the scenario, show the product of the means equals the product of the extremes.
7. Convert 12% to a fraction.
8. What percent of 15 ounces is 5 ounces?
9. Convert 1/5 to a percent.
10. Convert 33% to a decimal.
Complete the following exercises:
1. Critical Thinking, p. 25: Problem 3
2. Explain whether or not 20:25 = 4:5 is a true portion. Refer to Example 2 on p. 22.
3. Stop and Review, p. 22: Problems 1a, 1c, 1f, 1h, & 1l
Post your work and answers to all problems as an attachment.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more