Which measure is not affected by outliers?
Complete eight discussion questions. Reply must be 75 words or more Please provide references for answers.
Watch Segment 3, “Measures of Central Tendency: Mode, Median and Mean,” of the “Organizing Quantitative Data” video, located in this week’s Electronic Reserve Readings.
1. Which measure is not affected by outliers? Why?
Watch Segment 5, “Measures of Dispersion: Range and Standard Deviation,” of the “Organizing Quantitative Data” video, located in this week’s Electronic Reserve Readings.
2. What information does range provide about a data set?
Watch Segment 1, “Probability Distributions for Random Variables,” of the “Normal Distribution for Continuous Random Variable” video, located in this week’s Electronic Reserve Readings.
3. What percentages represent the standard normal distribution for continuous random variables according to the empirical rule?
4. Compare the three different measures of central tendency.
5. Are all measures of central tendency appropriate for all scales of measurement? Why or why not?
6. How is a sample mean different than a population mean?
7. How is the variance related to the standard deviation of a data set?
8. How does the empirical rule relate to the standard deviation?